MERIDIAN, Idaho - Dynamite Specialty Products, which makes all-natural horse feed, is replacing plastic containers with paper
craft bags as Earth Day approaches. This is just one of a number of ecologically friendly steps taken over the past few years by Dynamite.
Bags for smaller products, starting in late spring, will be made of recyclable paper and sewn at the top. They will have a moisture-grease barrier that is sprayed on as a liner and that will break down in the recycling process, said Callie Novak, vice president. The bags also can be reused by the consumer.
"We always have prided ourselves on using ecologically sensitive ingredients in our natural horse feed," she said. "Making our manufacturing processes ‘greener' is an extension of our commitment to the best horse nutrition, as well as the best nutrition for all living creatures.
"The new packaging also will be lighter and more space efficient, resulting in reduced fuel costs for shipping," she added. "We've also thought ‘inside the box' by instituting energy-saving practices such as energy-efficient lighting in our warehouse, automatic light switches in our office, paperless invoices, and 100 percent recycled paper whenever paper is necessary."
Among the other environmentally friendly practices are the following:
· The Meridian mill operates 10 hours a day, four days a week. Eliminating an extra work day reduces energy used in starting up the machinery at the mill and reduces fuel costs for employees.
· Office waste, including paper, cans and bottles, is recycled whenever possible.
· Dynamite encourages its distributors to print their own brochures from online templates, reducing printing waste and fossil fuels used for shipping.
· Dynamite uses its own Super ACV vinegar and All-Natural Deodorizer in cleaning its facilities, eliminating the chemical toxins in many household cleaners.
· Dynamite has switched to a more energy efficient lighting system throughout its headquarters. This includes everything from installing energy-efficient light bulbs to automatic switches that turn off lights when they are not needed.
· Commissions and payroll are being issued through direct deposit, eliminating paper for checks, envelopes and stamps and eliminating gas and electricity used in the mailing process.
· Every company machine and vehicle uses ZF-100, an engine additive that increases mileage and decreases emissions by reducing engine friction. One study showed that ZF-100 reduces carbon emissions by 50 percent, Novak said.
A family-owned business that has specialized in animal nutrition for four generations, Dynamite Marketing makes products for virtually every member of the animal kingdom. It has long developed food and nutritional supplements for prize-winning racehorses and working dogs across the country. Its specialists can recommend exactly what vitamins, minerals and other supplements best support dogs with arthritis, horses with laminitis, cats whose owners make their own food, and cows with digestive issues.
Dynamite has worked with veterinarians and university researchers to produce specialty foods to correct nutritional deficiencies in animals ranging from Canadian muskoxen to peregrine falcons to zoo exotics.
Dynamite uses only natural ingredients, made in the United States for better quality control. Throughout its history, it has always looked at alternatives to animal by-products, antibiotics, chemical preservatives, fumigants, artificial coloring and other additives that have later caused health problems. Its manufacturing processes are so stringently controlled that Dynamite has a separate mill to produce feed for herbivores, such as horses and poultry that are especially sensitive to contamination from meat needed by other species such as dogs and cats. Products include natural horse feed, natural dog food, horse and dog nutritional supplements, and a raw dog food that need no refrigeration. Dynamite has mills in Idaho and Iowa.
Additional information is available at DynamiteSpecialty.com.