This week, Equine ER heads to New York City and surroundings for EQER's East Coast  book tour June 5-13. Come see us in Manhattan, Long Island, or North Jersey! We would love to meet any of you in the area who can make it to the events and book signings. For details: click right here.

Today we conclude our excerpt about Sid, the colt with a severe case of clubfoot syndrome, from Equine ER, the nonfiction book from Eclipse Press by Leslie Guttman. Last week, Sid came home from the hospital after successful surgery but was in considerable pain and discomfort. Today: Did Sid mend fully?

Eventually, Sid started getting better but still put his feet down hard. You could hear him coming a mile away. Seven weeks after the operation, owner Sherri Wilson brought him back to Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital to see if he was mending correctly … and he was.

In the X-rays, the coffin bone was still perfectly balanced and parallel to the ground, the tenotomy site had not recontracted. Dr. Scott Morrison used a yellow blowtorch to soften up Sid’s soles, grown hard from all the stall rest, and then cut the shoe away from the foot with a rasp. He left the artificial toe on as a lever to counteract the continued healing of the tendon. It would probably take six to nine months for Sid’s hoof wall fully to grow in at the new angle.

Sid seven weeks after surgery for clubfoot syndrome.

Morrison was pleased with Sid’s gait as one of the farriers led the colt in a circle around the examining room. Sid had a goofy elegance, with his Friesian bearing, Clydesdale legs, 10-month-old gangliness. He’d go barefoot for now.

As he went back in the stall, Sid accidentally walked into the door. “That’s my boy,” Wilson said. She loaded him up in her old green trailer with the Friesian sticker on the back. By fall, for Sid there was no more being read to, only running in his favorite terrain on the farm– a three-acre grass lot with a slope and a dip. Sid would run full blast down the expanse and then lie down and roll around for the joy of it, his hooves toward the sun. 

Next week: Life lessons from a year spent following around a crazy pack of equine vets.